The Perfect Winter Warmer: Lamb Pie
Backsberg’s very own Chef Dennis Strydom shares his secret recipe for the ultimate winter warmer, Lamb Pie accompanied by roasted potato wedges, honey-coated butternut cubes and wilted spinach. Yum! Tip: This recipe is the perfect solution to leftovers from Sunday’s lamb roast. Serve accompanied by a glass of Backsberg Klein Babylons Toren 2014 in front of the fire for the ultimate experience.
1 roll of pre-bought puff pastry
150gr leftover lamb roast (cut into cubes)
1 tsp spice blend (the choice is yours but a barbeque blend works best
10gr onion cubes
125ml lamb/vegetable stock
1 Tbsp cream
+/- 150gr peeled potatoes
100gr butternut with the skin
50gr shredded spinach
20gr spring onion
1 tsp chopped parsley
1 Tbsp balsamic reduction (for plating purposes)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Par boil the potatoes, remove from the water, cut into wedges and scratch with a fork. Place in a roasting dish, add a dash of olive oil and season well.
- Wash the butternut and cut into cubes, ensuring the skin remains intact. Place in a separate roasting dish and season with cinnamon, honey, salt and olive oil.
- Place both dishes into the oven and allow to roast for 25-30 minutes. Remove items and set aside for later.
- Cut two pieces of puff pastry into strips 20cm x 20cm. Place these strips into the pre-heated oven at the same temperature and allow to bake for approximately 12 minutes. Remove and set aside for later.
- Place a pan on medium heat and add a teaspoon of olive oil, the spice blend and onions. Sauté the onions until almost soft.
- Add the lamb, frying it for a minute or so to intensify the flavour of the meat and then the stock. Allow to reduce by half.
- Whilst the lamb stock is reducing, place an additional pan on medium heat. To this pan, add olive oil, the spring onions and spinach. Season the mixture and sauté until tender.
- Place the roasted butternut and potatoes into the oven to reheat. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the puff pastry towards the end to reheat as well. 2 minutes should do.
- Add the cream to the lamb mixture on the stove-top and reduce until thick.
- Remove all your items from the oven and turn off the heat on the stove-top.
- Take a large round plate and place the lamb filling in the centre.
- Dish the sautéed spinach onto one side and top with the roasted butternut and crispy potato wedges.
- Spoon the balsamic reduction around the lamb filling and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Place the two pieces of pre-baked puff pastry, warm from the oven, onto the lamb filling at opposite angles.
- Serve and enjoy.
Voilà, it’s as easy as that!